ExoTerra - Recipes
RECIPE: SOFT GINGER CRICKET COOKIES
½ cup cricket flour cricket flour
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup butter, softened
¾ cup white sugar
5 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine first group of dry ingredients, flours, spices, baking soda and salt.
3. In a second larger bowl, cream together butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, brown sugar, molasses and orange juice.
4. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture. When mixed place in refrigerator for 20 minutes to set the dough.
5. Mix 2 tbsp brown and 1 tbsp white sugar together in a small bowl or on a small plate. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and then roll in the sugar. Place the sugared cookie balls on a parchment lined or ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten very slightly.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until bottom and edges are a light golden brown. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the cookie tray.
She says she is selling thousands a month online and expects her biscuits to be available more widely in US grocery stores in the next couple of months.
Jarrod says that he was recently contacted by a New York chef keen to start a restaurant with an insect-only menu.
NMF also caters to smaller markets in Canada and Europe, mostly in the UK.